Six arrested following incidents of violent disorder ahead of Oldham Athletic vs Wrexham AFC last October
Main article content
Six men have been arrested following incidents of violent disorder prior to the Oldham Athletic vs Wrexham AFC football game in the area of Ashton Road West, Oldham, Greater Manchester on October 1.
The men, aged between 29 and 55, from the Wrexham area were arrested for a variety of public order offences as a result of incidents prior to the Vanarama National League football game.
North Wales Police has assisted Great Manchester Police in conducting proactive arrests of some of the men involved in the disturbance.
All six men have been questioned and they, and another male arrested in November last year, will remain on conditional police bail whilst the investigation continues.
Superintendent Mark Williams said: “Wrexham Football Club has always been at the heart of our community. The men’s team is currently flying high, enjoying success in both league and the FA Cup competitions.
“The family atmosphere at the Racecourse is better than ever, and the whole city is feeling a real sense of pride in their team.
“There are, though a few individuals who are intent on dragging this down through their hooligan behaviour, which manifests itself in violence towards opposition fans and, on occasion, even their own club fans.
“North Wales Police have been working closely with the football club and the local community to rid match days of this inappropriate and often dangerous behaviour.
“The individuals arrested will be unable to attend future matches due to the bail conditions they now have imposed on them and, if convicted, could receive a lengthy football banning order.
“These so called ‘fans’ could potentially now miss the majority of the fantastic journey Wrexham AFC are on, as they would be required to stay away from the Racecourse on matchdays and be banned from travelling to away matches too.”
Wrexham AFC CEO Fleur Robinson said: “We are all looking forward to another memorable day for our Football Club on Sunday, which will see another capacity crowd at the Racecourse Ground.
“As we have seen all season, our loud and proud supporters are unrivalled in terms of the support they give us on the road – matching that of our incredible home support too.
“However, a very tiny minority choose to use Wrexham AFC matches to engage in disorder and tarnish this reputation, and as we have stated previously these individuals have no place at our Football Club.
“Thank you to North Wales Police and Greater Manchester Police for their work in making these arrests following the game in October. We will continue to work closely with NWP to ensure Wrexham AFC matches remain welcoming and enjoyable occasions for all of our true and loyal supporters.”
Superintendent Williams added: “As the police commander for the FA Cup match on Sunday, I really wish the team well and hope the true fans of the club can enjoy the football safely and peacefully.
“I also hope that those who may be planning any disorder understand that neither the club, nor the police will tolerate any anti-social or violent behaviour whatsoever, and anyone found guilty of offences will be prosecuted and excluded from attending future matches.”